The University Grant Commission (UGC), is a Statuary Body of Government of India, Ministry of Education, Department of Higher Education, constituted under the University Grants Commission Act, 1956 (3 of 1956), vested with two responsibilities: that of providing funds and that of coordination, determination and maintenance of standards in institutions of higher education
The UGC`s mandate includes:
- Promoting and coordinating university education.
- Determining and maintaining standards of teaching, examination and research in universities.
- Framing regulations on minimum standards of education.
- Monitoring developments in the field of collegiate and university education; disbursing grants to the universities and colleges.
- Serving as a vital link between the Union and state governments and institutions of higher learning.
- Advising the Central and State governments on the measures necessary for improvement of university education.